COMPUTER SCIENCE ENGINEERING is one of the most popular courses among aspiring engineers which comprises of the basic elements of computer programming and networking. It imparts knowledge mainly on design, implementation, and management of both hardware and software. It encompasses several topics related to computation, analysis of algorithms, programming languages, program design, software and hardware components. Hence, it primarily deals with the theory of computation, computational systems and covers the whole mechanism of how the computer works and all its processes. It also has its roots in electrical, electronics, mathematics and linguistics. The course being immensely popular is offered all across the globe at all technical institutions at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
What should be Taught in this stream?
A significant portion of the studies in the stream will involve programming as that is the way of feeding the computers to obtain desired results. You start learning basic languages like C, C++, Java etc. again, which you have been through in your preliminary classes and proceed to get a deeper understanding and a good hand at programming and its concepts. Strong problem-solving and analytical skills are really helpful in the long run. Advancements with the introduction to latest & more efficient programming languages keep you equipped. Next, they will evolve into entire data structures and algorithms, along with operating systems design. Course subjects mainly include:
- Cloud Computing
- Compiler Design
- Computer architecture and organization
- Computer Networks
- Data Base Management Systems
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Design & Analysis of Algorithms
- Distributed Computing Systems
- Operating Systems
- Software Testing
Top Engineering Colleges Offering Computer Science Engineering
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], BOMBAY (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], MADRAS (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY AND SCIENCE – [BITS], PILANI (BITSAT)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], DELHI (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], KANPUR (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- INDRAPRASTHA INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – [IIIT], DELHI (JEE Main, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], GUWAHATI (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], TRICHY (JEE Main, GATE)
- INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY – [IIIT], HYDERABAD (JEE Main, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], KARNATAKA (JEE Main, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], WARANGAL (JEE Main, GATE)
- DELHI TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY – [DTU], DELHI (JEE Main, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], ROURKELA (JEE Main, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], KHARAGPUR (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- JADAVPUR UNIVERSITY, FACULTY OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY – [JU], KOLKATA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – [IIEST], SHIBPUR, KOLKATA (JEE Main, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], DURGAPUR (JEE Main, GATE)
- KALYANI GOVERNMENT ENGINEERING COLLEGE – [KGEC], NADIA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- HALDIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [HIT], HALDIA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT GROUP – [IEM], KOLKATA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- HERITAGE INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, KOLKATA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- TECHNO INDIA UNIVERSITY, KOLKATA (WBJEE, GATE, JEE Main)
- ADAMAS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [AIT], KOLKATA (WBJEE, JEE Main)
- ACADEMY OF TECHNOLOGY – [AOT], HOOGHLY (WBJEE, JEE Main)
For UG: Class XII pass-out from a recognized school with 60% in physics, chemistry, and maths. And there is an age restriction as well and it may differ with the entrance test you are giving and one have to pass the common entrance test with the marks required to get admission in the specific college if demanded(like JEE Mains, WBJEE etc.).
For PG: The candidate should have a B.Tech degree with a minimum passing percentage in the aggregate of the subjects studied at the degree level.
What Does a Computer Science Engineer do?
COMPUTER SCIENCE ENGINEERS are responsible for the design and development of software applications for several industries. They manage the software, hardware and networks sections in the industry. computer science engineers have significant involvement in the design of PC’s and Laptops and improving it bit by bit to make it more efficient and that it fits the increasing pace. They develop software for other computing devices and writing codes and algorithms for Operating Systems.
The scope of Undergraduate(UG) and Postgraduate(PG) in Computer Science Engineering
It is completely impossible to live without computers and related technology as it has its grip over almost all spheres of life. Hence, its apostles and descendants will carry on their duty and responsibility for the advancement of mankind. Lucrative opportunities are always on their way as there are frequent up gradation and latest and efficient inventions in this sector. Increasing number of software companies, IT hubs, their expansion and variety of tasks indicate an increasing demand for CSE experts. Latest budding concepts of ‘Cloud Computing’, ‘Internet Of Things’, ‘Artificial Intelligence’ etc. on which the future of technology rests will require specialists of this domain.
Problem-solving, analytical skills, awareness of latest technologies and experimenting on the same will show a brighter future. Significant careers in this field are – Software Developers, Hardware Engineers, System Designers, System Analyst, Networking Engineers, Security Administrator etc.
- International Business Machines Corporation
- Toshiba Corporation
- Dell Inc
- NEC Corporation
- Canon Inc
- Apple Inc.
- ASUSTEK Computer Inc
- Acer Inc
- Lenovo Group Limited
- Sun Microsystem
- Techmahindra etc.