Instrumentation is defined as the science of measurement and control of the process variables within a production or manufacturing area. Control engineering is the engineering discipline that applies control theory to design systems with desired behaviors. Instrumentation and Control Engineering deals with the research, design, configuration, and automation of control devices and systems. Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering (E&I) & Instrumentation & Control Engineering (ICE) are two engineering courses which are derivatives of the Instrumentation Engineering.
This course encompasses the design, build and management of systems that are used in a range of modern industrial settings, and is closely related to mechatronic and robotic engineering. Instrumentation engineers are employed at essential positions in the industrial manufacturing sector and usually work in industries with automated processes, such as chemical or manufacturing plants with the goal of improving system productivity, reliability and stability. The course is multi-disciplinary in nature, control systems engineering activities focus on the implementation of control systems mainly derived by mathematical modeling of systems of a diverse range.
What should be Taught in this stream?
Instrumentation and Control plays a significant role in both gathering information from the field and changing the field parameters, and as such is a key part of control loops.The Instrumentation Technology, being an inter-disciplinary branch of engineering, is heading towards more development and advancement. This discipline finds its origin in both electrical and electronics engineering, and it covers subjects related to electronics an electrical streams. In short, it deals with measurement, automation and control processes.
In today’s scenario, most people are willing to make a career in this stream as the next step of development is industrial automation. Almost all process and manufacturing industry such as steel, oil, petrochemical, power and defense production will have a separate instrumentation and control department, which will be manned and managed by instrumentation and control engineers. “Automation is the buzz word in the process industry, and automation is the core job of instrumentation and control engineers. Hence, the demand for instrumentation will always be there”.
Top Engineering Colleges Offering Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], KHARAGPUR(JEE Advanced, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], DELHI(JEE Advanced, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE – [IISc], BANGALORE(JEE Main, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], MUMBAI(JEE Advanced, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY- [NIT], THIRUCHIRAPALLI(JEE Main, GATE)
- P.S.G COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY – [PSGCT], COIMBATORE(JEE Main, GATE)
- DELHI TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY – [DTU], NEW DELHI(JEE Main, GATE)
- NETAJI SUBHAS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NSIT], NEW DELHI(JEE Main, GATE)
- THAPAR INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY UNIVERSITY – [THAPAR UNIVERSITY], PATIALA
- COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING – [COEP], PUNE(JEE Main, GATE)
- DR BR AMBEDKAR NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], JALANDHAR(JEE Main, GATE)
- R V COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING – [RVCE], BANGALORE(JEE Main, GATE)
- NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [NIT], ROURKELA(JEE Main, GATE)
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY – [IIT], KHARAGPUR (JEE Advanced, GATE)
- HALDIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, HALDIA (WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
- CALCUTTA INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT, KOLKATA(WBJEE, GATE, NATA, JEE Main)
For UG: Class XII pass-out from a recognized school with 60% in physics, chemistry, and maths. And there is an age restriction as well and it may differ with the entrance test you are giving and one have to pass the common entrance test with the marks required to get admission in the specific college if demanded(like JEE Mains, WBJEE etc.).
For PG: B.Tech degree in the given areas: Instrumentation and Control Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering and have to Qualify the entrance exam and interview.
What Does an Instrumentation and Control Engineer do?
Instrument engineers manage, design, and install the machines or control systems used in highly technical fields. Most industrial units are using instrumentation systems to monitor their performance, accuracy, obtaining desired outputs and meeting specific requirements. Manufacturing firms & processing plants employ instrumentation engineers to create, monitor and troubleshoot complex instrumentation to optimize productivity.
Manufacturing, Chemical, Oil, Power and other industries with automated processes hire instrument engineers to optimize the dependability, safety, and productivity of their systems. Instrument engineer technologists also set up and maintain complex computer-controlled and program-controlled equipment driving instrumentation.
Their work-environment include- Food and chemical processing plants, Manufacturing firms, Oil and gas refineries, Energy companies, Aerospace programs, Pharmaceutical development and Production compensation.
The scope of Undergraduate (UG) and Postgraduate(PG) in Instrumentation And Control Engineering
The Government of India is currently having a great demand for Instrumentation engineers due to the rapid growth of automation and also as they can work both for the core as well as software companies due to the course content of the branch. The company that mainly hires are as follows:-
- BARC etc.
Private Company’s in India is also having a tremendous requirement of Instrumentation engineers. Some of the fields they often work in are:-
- R&D units to aerospace companies
- Automobile companies
- Food industries
- Thermal power plants
- Steel plants
- Fertilizer plants
- Biomedical companies
- Refineries and cement plants
- Sales Executives etc.
They can also work on their own project or any kind of startup related to the field of Instrumentation or Electronics or any other things they are or want to work on.
- DRDO -Defence Research and Development Organization
- IOC -Indian Oil Corporation
- BSNL JTO -Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited Junior Telecom Officers
- ISRO -Indian Space Research Organization
- BARC -Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
- NTPC -National Thermal Power Corporation
- HAL -Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- AAI -Airports Authority of India
- Johnson Controls
- Texas Instruments
- National Instruments
- Larsen & Toubro
- Robert Bosch
- Apna Technologies
- Oil & Coal
- Cairn India
- Allan Bradley
- Schneider Electric
- JK Fenner
Some software recruiters